Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2019

What does Yoga have to do with Homeschool Anyway?

Hello and welcome to the first post of my new blog!  Its going to be similar to my original blog, Momma Needs Another Cup of Coffee, but you will find a few years have passed. Nora is now a teen headed to high school in the fall.  Emily will be turning 12 this summer.  Where did the time go?  It seems like just yesterday when we were getting her tested to see if she'd ever learn to speak.

She has, believe me, the girl can talk your ear off.  But back to the issue at hand.

The Yoga of Homeschool.  You may be thinking, what the hell is Ivy talking about?  Or, if you're a visual thinker, this might come to mind:



Or maybe this:





Not quite friends.  For one thing, I'm super not flexible.  Not only is my coordination notoriously bad, I have a bit of scoliosis in my spine so its never straight!  No asana practices for me.  And as much as I LOVE JP Sears' look, I cannot pull off the gerber daisy on my head.  So I would not be equipped to offer either of these curricula at Momma Ivy's Homeschool of Yogis and Caffeine Addicts Aficionados.

I am referring to yoga as it was first taught to me a few years ago.  Since I'm a former adjunct professor and future homeschool momma, I'll pretend this is my powerpoint presentation and type out the definition:

Yoga is a Sanskrit word derived from the Sanskrit root “yuj” which means to connect, join or balance.


Doesn't that sound lovely?  Connection!  Balance!  Joining together in a world that seems so completely intent on fracturing at the seams!

I have to be honest with you though.  That is NOT how things have been going lately at La Maison d'Ally. 

Middle school has been a shitshow.

WHAT DO I DOOOOOO.....says that incessant voice in my mind that is super critical of everything.

Start a Mindfulness practice?  Listen to some Ram Dass podcasts?  Pick up that Eckhart Tolle book I stopped reading 15 years ago?  Yea...that's where I started.  (By the way if you're into that kind of stuff, check out the Be Here Now Network.)  That reminded me of the importance of listening to the voice of wisdom that whispers to everyone from their own heart.

I remember when Emily was removed from her special ed kindergarten class into the regular classroom.  The school presented it as a boon.  Hell, I probably did too.  I'll have to check, but I'll bet I wrote a blog about how wonderful it was at the time.  (Maybe not?)

But there was always a part of me that wondered. Would this child truly fit in at school?  Would she thrive?  Could she be happy?

It has been hit and miss, and life keeps throwing more and more challenges at this child.  She has a hard time reading and spelling because of dyslexia.  Her handwriting looks very much like that of a 4 year old due to a lack of coordination in her fingers.  This also means she can't tie her shoes, or learn crochet although she has expressed interested on several occasions.  She loves people, but doesn't understand how to maintain a friendship.  She was diagnosed with ADHD at one point (although I'm skeptical if that really was the problem).  She has epilepsy, but she is very fortunate in that she's responded very well to the medication.  However, the side effect of the meds are depression and anxiety, both of which are becoming issues.

This is a pretty formidable list of challenges for anyone, but especially a child!  And yet she's up to the task...on her terms.

Emily is bright, inquisitive, hilarious, and extremely well-spoken.  She is compassionate, and has an appreciation for the wonders of the world.  She thinks Stephen Colbert is the funniest guy on the planet, with her Father a close second, and Seth Myers in at third.  (Don't judge me for letting her watch late night comedy shows.  She actually understands the jokes because she also loves NPR and has a pretty solid understanding of current events.)

But the other side of the coin is that Emily is cognizant enough to realize that this makes her an outsider at school. She is teased for her sloppy handwriting, or her "out there" comments that are relevant to the conversation as long as you're on her level.  The girls at school are starting to get interested in make-up and boys, but she's content to play with her Shopkins.  She's also very embarrassed at the idea of her classmates knowing she prefers toys to boys.  This has led to a lot of stress.

Top it off with the fact that her medicine makes her sleepy, and that her body's clock is switching onto teenager standard time, which means mornings are hellish.  There's a lot of yelling, tears, and negative self-talk.

I feel like the current routine is going to suppress everything that makes this child vibrant.  She needs to feel some, oh I don't know, connection and balance?  And really, who else is going to help her start this process?  We were literally joined together for 9 months, sharing the same body, blood stream, and sugar cravings.  A school year is also 9 months.

Let's give it a go.

Emily will finish up 6th grade at her current middle school, and then the yoga of homeschool will begin.  I'd like to chronicle our journey here, share as much of her work as she feels comfortable with, as well as post the occasional review for books I find helpful in this journey.  Whatever is in store, it won't be boring!

Wish us luck.  Or light and peace.  I'll take it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment